The Iron Trail
Five stops on foot — Cyfarthfa Castle, the old ironworks engine house, the world's first steam railway, and a composer's cottage — with honest notes on what's actually open today.
Loading the latest information…
Five stops on foot — Cyfarthfa Castle, the old ironworks engine house, the world's first steam railway, and a composer's cottage — with honest notes on what's actually open today.
Loading the latest information…
Merthyr Tydfil was the largest town in Wales and the world's greatest iron-producing centre in the early 1800s. This walk links five places that tell that story today — the ironmasters' castle, a surviving blast-engine house, the birthplace of the steam railway, and a composer's childhood home. Allow 1.5–2 hours on foot, longer with museum visits.
Cyfarthfa Castle to the birthplace of the steam railway, on foot through the town Merthyr's ironmasters built.
The mock-Gothic mansion William Crawshay II built in 1824–25 to look down on his ironworks and his rivals across the valley. It's now a museum covering the Crawshay ironmasters, local and Welsh history, and a First World War gallery, set in the town's largest park.
Generally open Tuesday–Sunday, 10am–5pm April–September and 10am–4:30pm October–March (closed Mondays in winter) — check before you go, especially with the long-running Cyfarthfa Park masterplan under way. Admission is around £3.50 adult, £3 concession, free under 16.
The surviving blast-engine house from the old Cyfarthfa ironworks, built around 1836 to pump air into the furnaces below. It's one of the few pieces of the ironworks itself still standing.
Closed to the public at present — worth a look from the street on your way into town.
A grand Victorian former town hall, most recently home to the Redhouse Cymru arts centre — comedy, pantomime and exhibitions, until it closed in 2024.
Closed since 2024. The council took the building back into its ownership in 2026 and is still working out what comes next, so there's no reopening date yet — for now it's a stop for the building itself.
A monument marking the spot near where, on 21 February 1804, Richard Trevithick's steam locomotive set off from the Penydarren Ironworks and hauled ten tons of iron and 70 men nine miles down the valley to Abercynon — the world's first railway journey powered by a steam locomotive.
The memorial was put up in 1933 on the centenary of Trevithick's death, with a locomotive model added in 1993.
The two-room ironworker's cottage where composer Joseph Parry — who wrote the hymn tune Aberystwyth and the song Myfanwy — was born in 1841, before his family emigrated to the Pennsylvania steelworks and later returned.
A small site with limited hours — weekend afternoons in season, or by appointment the rest of the year through Cyfarthfa Museum (01685 727371). Worth calling ahead rather than turning up on spec.
Town Tools builds free, public tools for Merthyr Tydfil and towns around the world. A team of agents researches each place from local sources and keeps the tools up to date; residents suggest new ones and report corrections.