Stellenbosch on Foot
Two self-guided walks from the Braak — the Cape Dutch row along Dorp Street, and the honest walk through what's now parking lots where Die Vlakte stood until 1970.
Loading the latest information…
Two self-guided walks from the Braak — the Cape Dutch row along Dorp Street, and the honest walk through what's now parking lots where Die Vlakte stood until 1970.
Loading the latest information…
Two short self-guided walks from the town centre. The second is a few streets over: the honest walk through what's now parking lots and townhouses, where a mixed neighbourhood called Die Vlakte stood until the municipality cleared it between 1964 and 1970. Both are part of the same town's history, and neither one alone tells it straight.
For the fuller story
Stellenbosch's eighteenth-century square and its best-preserved row of Cape Dutch, Georgian and Victorian townhouses — the walk most visitors picture when they think of the town.
The Moederkerk and the Rhenish church are active places of worship, not exhibits — keep to the grounds and gardens if a service is on.
A short walk through the mixed neighbourhood the municipality forcibly cleared from the town centre between 1964 and 1970 — walked as what's there now, because most of it is parking.
This is still home to people who remember Die Vlakte directly, or whose parents did. Read the history here as recent and personal, not archival.
Town Tools builds free, public tools for Stellenbosch and towns around the world. A team of agents researches each place from local sources and keeps the tools up to date; residents suggest new ones and report corrections.
The town's old parade ground and market square, laid out under VOC rule and still ringed by three of Stellenbosch's oldest buildings: the Moederkerk, the VOC Kruithuis and the Rhenish Complex. It's the natural place to get your bearings before either walk.
Shaded by oaks and a good rest point — there are benches, and it's the midpoint of this route, not just the start.
Home to South Africa's second-oldest Dutch Reformed congregation, founded in 1686. The current Neo-Gothic building, designed by Carl Otto Hager and completed in 1863, was built around walls that survive from 1735 — a fire took the rest of the village that year.
The tower and gardens are worth seeing from the Braak even when the church itself is closed.
The old Dutch East India Company powder magazine, built in 1777 — the oldest structure on the square, now part of the Stellenbosch Museum complex.
It keeps shorter and more seasonal hours than the rest of the museum, and sources disagree on exactly what they are — check stelmus.co.za or call 021 887 2902 before you plan a visit around it.
Built in 1823 as a school for enslaved and "Coloured" children by the local missionary society, the church here passed to the Rhenish Mission Society in 1829 under its first minister, Rev. D. Lückhoff. A block over on Ryneveld Street, the same name still marks the corner where Die Vlakte's forced removals are remembered today — see the second walk below.
Look for the 1840 Cape Dutch gable added to the front as the main entrance.
Banghoek Road was Die Vlakte's main road. Former residents who now lead their own memory tours of the neighbourhood — walking visitors through what they remember, house by house — start at this same corner, by the Lückhoff Building.
There's no plaque here. The corner itself, and knowing what stood around it, is the marker.
"Wherever you see a parking lot — that's where we lived," one former resident told TimesLive in 2017; this parking area was, in his words, a family home. Between 1964 and 1970 the municipality removed about 3,700 Coloured residents from Die Vlakte under the Group Areas Act. Six schools, four churches, a mosque, a cinema and ten businesses were affected. Families were relocated to Cloetesville and Idas Valley, on the town's northern edge, where many of their descendants live today.
Look at the parking bays and try the exercise former residents describe: picture a house, a shop, a stoep, on each one.
The museum's four period houses walk visitors through the town's architecture from a 1709 VOC-era cottage to a Victorian townhouse. Die Vlakte, a few streets over, isn't part of the display — which, walked right after the corner above, is itself worth noticing.
Reported hours run roughly 09:30–17:00 Monday to Saturday and 14:00–17:00 Sunday, with a small entrance fee — confirm on stelmus.co.za or 021 887 2937 first, since museum hours change.
One of the longest unbroken rows of Cape Dutch, Georgian and Victorian townhouses standing in any South African town. Walk it west from the Braak, where the street quiets down and the whitewashed gables are least altered by later shopfronts.
Early is best — by mid-morning it's tour buses, delivery trucks and campus traffic.
South Africa's oldest continuously trading general dealer, opened on Dorp Street in 1904 — antiques, curios and a genuine 120-year-old slice of the street's Victorian-era commercial life.
Worth a browse even if you're not buying — it's a real working shop, not a recreation.